Saturday, November 15, 2014

El Prado

Work on Mondays are endless. Orders were backed up from the weekend and it took all day to fill them. I made plans to drown the rest of the night with beer so I found myself at a hole in the wall called El Prado on Sunset Blvd. 


Bars funnel the neighborhood. I stepped through the velvet veil into a world of dim lighting and booze. There was a man in a suit hugging the far corner of the red brick wall. He was reading a book by the candle light, flames inches from his face.

I sat down at the bar made out of reclaimed wood. I was careful. It was too reclaimed. Splinters dug into my arms.


The bartender came over and screamed,


     "WHAT CAN I GET YOU HUN!"


It was loud, a turn-table was turning and the amplifier shouted at the oddly placed disco ball.


     "I'LL HAVE THE HOUSE IPA!"


She nodded and took out a chilled glass sticking out of the ice tray.

She was cute. She had on a floral dress with a brown belt across her middle. It created a bulge that gave her definition.
She placed a frothy, copper lager in front of me.

     "THAT'LL BE SEVEN DOLLARS!"


I gave her a ten and left the change for tip.

She gave me a wink and yelled at the guy who just sat down couple chairs from me.

I took a bigger gulp than I anticipated. The sharp bubbles stung my throat and it felt good. The disco ball shot rays towards the couple that was sitting a few seats down. Their eyes were locked on each other and talking with their hands. Body language was spoken here. The man had a full beard and it was combed to a point. His bald head was a disco ball and his eyes were gleaming. The woman had on leather overalls with a laced see through top. She had long blond hair that she kept teasing. She grabbed his hand and held it. 


-


Her name was Cindy. She had long waves of golden brown hair and mahogany eyes that matched. We were immersed in purple haze and deep house. As company grew dull and the alcohol running a bit thicker, the slight touch of our legs became heavier. She buried herself into me and her arm slid into mine. 


     "Hey. Let's get out of here." 



SS

No comments:

Post a Comment