Thursday, September 4, 2014

Platform 9 3/4

"Students Save!" Blared the ad on the screen. 
An animated train flew by the page. I'm not quite sure why but I clicked on it. 
I typed in my starting and ending destinations and the page refreshed. 

-

"How was your day today?" My mom asked. 
It shocked me a bit. It was a question that was rarely asked these days.

"Um, I found out I can take the train to school."

     "Oh really? And how much would that be?"

"About Eight dollars each way."

     "Thats not bad. Do it. I dare you to try it. I'll even pay for it." 

A challenge from my mother. I accepted. 

-

I found myself tossing and turning the night before the train ride. It felt like a night before a big trip. The insomnia of anticipation. 

6AM. I woke up to my mom packing lunch for me. God bless that woman. She shows me what love is every single day. 

     "Good morning!" She said as she smiled.

My dad was also awake and we took a family trip to the train station down the street. 

-

I was surprised at the amount of people waiting for the train. Suited people. Children clinging on to their mothers and even other students. 

7:37AM. The train came around the corner right on time. I stood right in front of the yellow line and felt the behemoth of human ingenuity fly by inches from my face. A wall of diesel exhaust and brake dust hit me as the train slowed to a halt. I grinned and got on. 

I sat by the window seat, always. The train started to move and I saw my family waving out the window.

     "I must be better to them." I said to myself. 

It was a 10 minute ride to Union Station where I had to transfer to another line. 


7:47AM Union Station. 

I had 13 minutes to get to my next train. I followed the massive stampede of people down underground. The herd split. Half went left and half went right. 

Right or left. Right or left. I stood at the fork and tried to look for a map or a hint of where to go. Nothing. I took a chance and started walking right. 

I was intimidated. All these people knew exactly where to go and I was lost and felt out of place. I kept walking and hoped to find a familiar sign. 

     Platform 10B - Ocean Side 8:00AM 

It was 7:55AM. I made it on to the right train. I hoped. 

-

8AM.

I loved the punctuality. Public transportation kept me on schedule; kept me moving.  
The train departed and took the scenic route along the Los Angeles River. The birds were having their morning bath and downtown was gleaming from the morning sun. I passed by tent cities under bridges and saw a hobo pissing into the river. 

The new perspective of LA put me in a trance. It wasn't just the view out the window that I enjoyed. It was being out of my comfort zone and having an adventure that was exhilarating. 

The train passed over the 5 Freeway. A route that I once used to take. It was backed up with traffic. I smiled and took a sip out of my thermos. 

SS






No comments:

Post a Comment